After looking at it for a couple of minutes I decided that it wasn't going to work for me. I built the jig below, which is similar to the tapering jig shown in the last Guild session.
I was able to taper the legs and somehow managed not to taper the wrong side. Unfortunately, I ended up with a crack in the bottom of one leg. I laid out the cuts hoping to cut out the crack during the tapering process, but you can't win 'em all.
This will give me an opportunity to try some of the epoxy filling techniques that I've seen demonstrated. Fortunately this is on the back side of the front left leg, so the repair will not be visible from the front.
I'll have this leg repaired and back in the saddle in no time.